Monday, August 31, 2009

Sweet Love- a short story

There was a quiet stir in the air that was unsettling. The evening sun had set and the air had grown chilly. I walked by the light of the street lamps to my dark house. Even though I was alone I felt comforted by an inner peace. I could feel that winter was approaching and the warm glow of sun lit leaves would be fading away. I remember this time of year as a happy time; always full of cider, crunching leaves, and family. But it was mid-winter that I dreaded most, when the excitement of the holidays end, and it seems like winter couldn't get any colder, it gets colder. But this night was different. It was unreal. Nothing seemed natural, almost staged. As I approached my door and drew the keys from my pocket, I noticed that a sweet smell of cookies was creeping from behind the door like a loving invitation down memory lane. I put the keys in and turned the knob. As I entered my house the smell engulfed me, filling my soul with swirling thoughts of childhood that I did not remember. I paused, only for a moment and inhaled the pleasant scent of cookies. As I looked around the dark house that was only lit by the faint street lamps I couldn't see anyone or any cookies. My family was all far away like my distant childhood, only a faded thought that gets more difficult to remember everyday. Who could have created this perfect scent? This feeling of a mother's love? I closed my eyes. Could I be dreaming?

No comments:

Post a Comment